Melet was the name of a village and town, but also the name of one of the 7 provinces in the Nikopolis (Sebinkarahisar) region of Pontus. Currently named Mesudiye (or Hamidiye), the earlier Greek name was Meletios, Melet or Milas (Mελέτιος, Μελέτ, οr Μήλας), the name probably deriving from the Melanthios River (Melet Irmak) which runs through it and down to Ordu. Matuasco is also another name for it.
Τhe Melanthios River (Melet Irmak) springs from the sides of Karagiol (Καραγκιόλ) and Karantag (Καραντάγ) and flows to the valley of Mesudiye and travels towards Ordu and to the east of Ordu it empties into the Black Sea. The name Melanthios is believed to derive from the word μελάνη or "ink" to describe the dark and shady colour of its waters. The river is said to pass through dense and shady forests hence its dark colour.
The Centre of Asia Minor Studies names Melet as one of the 7 provinces of Nikopolis (Sebinkarahisar), and that it consisted of 31 Greek villages, one of thοse being Mesudiye (Hamidiye).
The Encyclopaedia of Pontian Hellenism states that Melet was a village in the Melanthios province in the Metropolis of Nikopolis, and that the village consisted of 70 Greek families.
The Encyclopedia of Pontian Hellenism describes Mesudiye as a town in the Melanthios province which consisted of 2000 residents. The town was created in 1856 after the Crimean War, from the immigration of steel-miners and others from Chaldia, people from Ordu (Kotyora), Fatsa, as well as people who moved there from the Melanthios province.
Of the 2000 residents, 1500 were Turcophone Greeks , a small number were Grecophone Greeks, and the remainder were Turkish and Armenian. The Greek section of the town comprised 2 churches; Saint Konstantinos and the Temple of the Virgin Mary. There was also a Greek school and high-school which was built by the benefactor Konstantinos Tapinos.
The Armenian residents of Mesudiye were exterminated in 1915, while the Greeks were exiled and killed during the years 1916-1923. Very few survived and made their way to Greece.
It is postulated that the name Hamidiye derived from the word Medea (Μηδεία) but without certainty.
-The Byzantine Monuments and Topography of The Pontos . Anthony Bryer and David Winfield. p116
-Εγκυκλοπαίδεια Ποντιακού Ελληνισμού
-Ιστορια Ποντιακου Ελληνισμου, Χρηστου Σαμουϊλίδη