In 1850, George Finlay described the church by saying "The metropolitan church is a small building within the same court as the episcopal residence." He also mentioned that the church had north and south porches.
The Metropolitan Constantius of Trebizond (1830-79) was responsible for rebuilding many medieval monuments during his long reign. In 1863, he set out on his most ambitious project, that of rebuilding Saint Gregory of Nyssa. In that year, the church of Saint Gregory was demolished and in its place, a large church was built comprising three Pontic apses, a belfry and a decahexagonal drum as its dome.
The church was dynamited in 1930 to make way for the City Club.